http://www.globalagogo.com/2015/02/program-february-20-2015.html for details). This week, I have a whole Brazilian band playing live in the studio.
All the way from Porto Alegre (nearly as far south as you can go in Brazil) come Marcelo Fruet & Os Cozinheiros. They're working their way across the USA, including a stop at SXSW in Austin last week, and they're in Richmond now. And you'll hear them play live on Global A Go-Go starting at about 4:00 on Wednesday.
Also this week: what would Yma Sumac fronting The Mamas & The Papas sound like?, and the Senegambian sound. Plus I'll be giving away a pair of tickets to see tUnE-yArDs at the National on March 30 with Son Lux and Richmond SXSW heroes Avers.
March 24, 2015
1 BABA COMMANDANT AND THE MANDINGO BAND | Juguya | Sublime Frequencies
2 E.T. MENSAH AND THE TEMPOS | King Of Highlife Anthology | RetroAfric
3 BKO QUINTET | Bamako Today | Buda Musique
4 OS BRAZOES | Os Brazoes | Mr Bongo
5 KASSE MADY DIABATE | Kirike | Six Degrees
6 BOUBACAR TRAORE | Mbalimaou | Lusafrica
7 SAMBA TOURE | Gandadiko | Glitterbeat
8 VERCKY'S ET L'ORCHESTRE VEVE | Congolese Funk, Afrobeat And Psychedelic Rumba 1969-1978 | Analog Africa
9 VARIOUS ARTISTS | The Afrosound Of Colombia, Vol. 2 | Vampisoul
10 TOM ZE | Tom Ze | Mr Bongo
March 23, 2015
TITLE: Everybody Knows
LABEL: Record Kicks
Versions (we call them covers) have long been a staple of Jamaican popular music. The Bluebeaters are an Italian band that specializes in ska and rocksteady versions of, shall we say, unlikely material.
TITLE: Chicas! Vol. 2: Spanish Female Singers 1963-1978
Here’s volume 2 of Vampisoul’s look at Spanish female singers of the ye-ye period. On one level, this stuff is disposable pop music that was discarded decades ago (hence its current obscurity); on another, it’s a fascinating document of an era when Spain was striving to join first-world Europe and women were achieving some grudging liberation.
TITLE: At Home: Live In Marciac
LABEL: Jazz Village
This is one of those pairings that seems arbitrary but turns out to be so, so right. Roberto Fonseca is a stunningly virtuosic Cuban pianist; he came to fame as Ruben Gonzalez’s replacement in the Buena Vista Social Club, and he’s carving out a career at the edges of jazz, Afro-Cuban music and funk. Fatoumata Diawara is a Malian singer-songwriter-guitarist who started as an actor and whose debut solo album earned her rave reviews.
LABEL: Easy Star
Some of today’s best reggae music is coming out of London – here’s a good example. The Skints are a young band that started in a kind of ska-punk bag; now on their third album (in addition to three EPs) they’ve broadened their sound to include more elements of reggae, dub, dancehall, hip hop and grime, and crucially they write some hooky, catchy songs.
March 17, 2015
Fado Nosso will be a central part in a unique event that's happening this weekend: a music/dance performance called Amalia at Dogtown Dance Theatre. Bernadette and I will talk about Fado Nosso, Amalia, fado and more starting at about 4:00. She's also bringing a set of some of her favorite fado songs to introduce you to this unique genre of music.
Also on this week's program: Brazilian rock including a song by Marcelo Fruet & Os Cozinheiros, who will play live on next week's show; and the latest and greatest from West Africa.
1 VARIOUS ARTISTS | Next Stop Soweto, Vol. 4: Zulu Rock, Afro-Disco And Mbaqanga 1975-1985 | Strut
2 DENGUE FEVER | The Deepest Lake | Tuk Tuk
3 VARIOUS ARTISTS | The Afrosound Of Colombia, Vol. 2 | Vampisoul
4 DOM LA NENA | Soyo | Six Degrees
5 MELISANDE (ELECTROTRAD) | Les Metamorphoses | self-released
6 NILSON MATTA | East Side Rio Drive | World Blue
7 BKO QUINTET | Bamako Today | Buda Musique
8 ABELARDO BARROSO Y LA ORQUESTA SENSACION | Cha Cha Cha | World Circuit
9 KHUN NARIN'S ELECTRIC PHIN BAND | Khun Narin's Electric Phin Band | Innovative Leisure
10 IBEYI | Ibeyi | XL
March 3, 2015
Also this week: it's cumbia time!, a set of music from Zimbabwe, and some mariachi and banda influenced songs.
1 E.T. MENSAH AND THE TEMPOS | King Of Highlife Anthology | RetroAfric
2 HAILU MERGIA AND THE WALIAS | Tche Belew | Awesome Tapes From Africa
3 OS BRAZOES | Os Brazoes | Mr Bongo
4 DENGUE FEVER | The Deepest Lake | Tuk Tuk
5 BOUBACAR TRAORE | Mbalimaou | Lusafrica
6 VARIOUS ARTISTS | Peru Bravo: Funk, Soul, And Psych From Peru's Radical Decade | Tiger's Milk
7 DOM LA NENA | Soyo | Six Degrees
8 MELISANDE (ELECTROTRAD) | Les Metamorphoses | self-released
9 VARIOUS ARTISTS | Cafe Del Mundo | Putumayo
10 AFROROCKERZ | The Afrorockerz | Buda Musique
March 2, 2015
TITLE: Next Stop Soweto, Vol. 4: Zulu Rock, Afro-Disco And Mbaqanga 1975-1985
The fourth volume of Strut’s essential Next Stop Soweto series focuses on the decade before the world music boom (and especially Paul Simon’s Graceland) shone an international spotlight on South African music.
March 1, 2015
- Kaoru Watanabe (pictured above), the former artistic director of Kodo, plays both Japanese drums and transverse flute; he performs his music, integrating Japanese folk traditions with contemporary improvisation, on Thursday March 5 at the University of Richmond's International Center Commons
- Brooklyn-based dhol-and-brass band Red Baraat brings its Festival Of Colors to DC's Howard Theatre on Thursday March 5
- Mighty Joshua and the Zion #5 bring roots and culture to Balliceaux on Friday March 20
- Fado Nosso and Claves Unidos presents "Amalia: An Evening Of Fado And Dance" at the Dogtown Dance Theatre, Saturday March 21 and Sunday March 22
- Two excellent local-band double bills at Balliceaux: Yeni Nostalji and the Afro Zen All Stars on Wednesday March 25, and Miramar and the Richmanian Ramblers on Tuesday March 31
Click "Read more" to see the entire March calendar.
- Ukrainian "ethno-chaos" combo DakhaBrakha (pictured above), who wowed a Richmond audience in November, return to the region on Thursday April 2 with a performance at DC's Sixth & I Historic Synagogue
- Amazing Chilean rapper Ana Tijoux makes a rare appearance in the USA on Wednesday April 15 at the Black Cat in DC
- Powerhouse dance band Tal National from Niger will have the crowd moving at Tropicalia in DC on Friday April 17
- The Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain, who must be heard to be believed, visit Strathmore in Bethesda on Sunday April 26
Click "Read more" to see the entire April calendar.
|Photo by Ricardo Trabulsi|
Click "Read more" to see the entire May calendar.
February 27, 2015
TITLE: King Of Highlife Anthology
Highlife is a seminal style of West African popular music that got started way back in the late 19th century. The classic highlife combo is horn-driven, with guitar and drums in the rhythm section; American jazz, especially big band swing, became a major influence in the mid-20th century.