November 24, 2014
1 VARIOUS ARTISTS | 25 Years Of Mr Bongo | Mr Bongo
2 VARIOUS ARTISTS | Feedback Madagascar | ARC
3 VARIOUS ARTISTS | Golden Afrique, Volume 1 | Network
4 VARIOUS ARTISTS | Glitterbeat: Dubs & Versions I | Glitterbeat
5 ALMA AFROBEAT ENSEMBLE | Life No Get Dublicate | Slow Walk Music
6 DJESSOU MORY KANTE | River Strings: Maninka Guitar | Sterns
7 VARIOUS ARTISTS | Peru Bravo: Funk, Soul & Psych From Peru's Radical Decade | Tiger's Milk
8 TONY ALLEN | Film Of Life | Jazz Village
9 BUDOS BAND | Burnt Offering | Daptone
10 LES AMBASSADEURS | Les Ambassadeurs Du Motel De Bamako | Sterns
November 20, 2014
TITLE: Feedback Madagascar
Madagascar was the subject of several excellent world music releases back in the 80s and 90s. More recently the outside world has heard little from the island nation, which has been wracked by political crises and economic stagnation, so this new compilation is a welcome addition to the all-too-small Malagasy catalog.
Also this week: the Senegalese tinge, Afrobeat meets rap, and the glorious global sound of brass-rock circa 1972.
November 17, 2014
1 VARIOUS ARTISTS | Peru Bravo: Funk, Soul & Psych From Peru's Radical Decade | Tiger's Milk
2 SLAVIC SOUL PARTY | Five Albums | self-released
3 VARIOUS ARTISTS | 25 Years Of Mr Bongo | Mr Bongo
4 DJESSOU MORY KANTE | River Strings: Maninka Guitar | Sterns
5 ANTONIO CASTRIGNANO | Fomenta: Ilenu De Taranta | Ponderosa Music & Art
6 BUDOS BAND | Burnt Offering | Daptone
7 ORLANDO JULIUS WITH THE HELIOCENTRICS | Jaiyede Afro | Strut
8 TINARIWEN | Amassakoul | Modern Classics
9 LES AMBASSADEURS | Les Ambassadeurs Du Motel De Bamako | Sterns
10 JUNGLE FIRE | Tropicoso | Nacional
November 13, 2014
If you haven't heard Tympanum Effect yet, I recommend that you check it out via broadcast or by using WRIR's new listening portal at wrir.org/tunein. And if you'd like a taste of what J.R. brings to the airwaves, tune in this week to hear his take on "music from around the world in the universal language of groove."
I'll spin a few this week too: Ukrainian "ethno-chaos" by DakhaBrakha (who are performing in Richmond on Sunday), new Italian folk by Antonio Castrignano, golden age Malian Afropop by Les Ambassadeurs, and more.
November 9, 2014
1 VARIOUS ARTISTS | 25 Years Of Mr Bongo | Mr Bongo
2 ALMA AFROBEAT ENSEMBLE | Life No Get Dublicate | Slow Walk Music
3 TONY ALLEN | Film Of Life | Jazz Village
4 KHUN NARIN | Khun Narin's Electric Phin Band | Innovative Leisure
5 VARIOUS ARTISTS | The Craig Charles Funk & Soul Revue, Vol. 3 | Freestyle
6 VARIOUS ARTISTS | Glitterbeat: Dubs & Versions I | Glitterbeat
7 DJESSOU MORY KANTE | River Strings: Maninka Guitar | Sterns
8 BUDOS BAND | Burnt Offering | Daptone
9 KIRAN AHLUWALIA | Sanata : Stillness | Magenta
10 ARUN RAMAMURTHY TRIO | Jazz Carnatica | self-released
November 6, 2014
TITLE: 25 Years Of Mr Bongo
LABEL: Mr Bongo
Mr Bongo got started as a London record shop in 1989, focusing on indie hip hop, Brazilian and Latin music. They soon started their own record label so they could reissue deserving out-of-print material and release original material by related artists.
TITLE: Life No Get Dublicate
LABEL: Slow Walk Music
This is the second studio album by this Barcelona-based, highly international (members hail from four different continents) combo that was originally founded by guitarist Aaron Feder in the USA, his home country.
TITLE: Glitterbeat: Dubs & Versions I
Glitterbeat Records, WOMEX’s 2014 Label Award winner, is primarily focused on North and West African music, especially contemporary music from Mali. For its first various-artists compilation, the label invited some of their favorite remixers to take swings at deep cuts from the catalog.
Also this week: more Asian psychedelia; deep, dubby blues from Mississippi to the Sahara; and Indian music meets jazz.
November 3, 2014
- Yeni Nostalji, who wowed the Global A Go-Go audience with their in-studio performance on October 24, have two dates in November: Sunday November 2 at Balliceaux and Sunday November 23 at Hardywood Park Craft Brewery, both times with Miramar sharing the bill
- The Budos Band (pictured above), Staten Island's best Afrobeat band and so much more, visits DC's 9:30 Club in support of their new album Burnt Offering on Friday November 7
- Ukrainian "ethno-chaos" (their description, not mine) combo DakhaBrakha makes their first trip to the USA, including a stop at Richmond CenterStage's Gottwald Playhouse on Sunday November 16, part of the Modlin Center's current season
- Brazilian legend Milton Nascimento plays at George Washington University's Lisner Auditorium on Thursday November 20
Click "Read more" to see the entire November calendar.
- Fulton's own Corey Harris has a rare hometown show at the Camel on Friday December 12 with his band the Rasta Blues Experience, Mighty Joshua and Lost Dreads
- Gogol Bordello (Eugene Hutz's guitar pictured above) returns to DC to rock the 9:30 Club on Saturday December 27 and Sunday December 28
Click "Read more" to see the entire December calendar.
- The Spanish Harlem Orchestra, America's number one salsa repertory ensemble, visits the University of Richmond;s Alice Jepson Theatre on Thursday January 22, as part of the Modlin Center's performance series
- Zap Mama and Antibalas (the latter is pictured above) are on tour together: they visit Richmond's Carpenter Theatre (in another Modlin Center event) on Wednesday January 28 and DC's Lisner Auditorium on Friday January 30
Click "Read more" to see the entire January calendar.
November 2, 2014
1 BUDOS BAND | Burnt Offering | Daptone
2 ABELARDO BARROSO WITH ORQUESTA SENSACION | Cha Cha Cha | World Circuit
3 BANG DATA | Mucho Poco | Futuro Sonico-Rockolito Music
4 HOLLIE COOK | Twice | Mr Bongo
5 DJESSOU MORY KANTE | River Strings: Maninka Guitar | Sterns
6 VARIOUS ARTISTS | Funk, Soul & Psych From Peru's Radical Decade | Tiger's Milk
7 TONY ALLEN | Film Of Life | Jazz Village
8 OSAKA MONAURAIL | Riptide | Shout!
9 BOMBAY ROYALE | The Island Of Dr. Electrico | Hope Street
10 KHUN NARIN | Khun Narin's Electric Phin Band | Innovative Leisure