July 10, 2018
TITLE: Light Of Day
British reggae singer Alpheus and Spanish producer Roberto Sanchez have been working together since 2006. Alpheus is an oddity in modern reggae: a mid-career singer who only works with vintage rhythms – ska, rocksteady and early reggae.
And July 11 is also the 37th birthday of Richmond's Plan 9 Records. We'll celebrate that one by giving away a $37 Plan 9 gift certificate during Global A Go-Go to a caller who can correctly answer any one of these Plan 9 trivia questions (answers added after the contest ended; congratulations to our winner, David):
- How did Plan 9 Records get its name? From "Plan 9 From Outer Space," frequently cited as the worst movie ever made.
- What was the address of Plan 9's first location? 2905 W. Cary Street, today the left side of Citizen Burger Bar.
- What infamous Richmond city councilman endorsed Plan 9 in a TV advertisement? H.W. (Chuck) Richardson, who would subsequently be arrested for heroin distribution while serving on City Council.
- What legendary Richmond band was fronted by long-time Plan 9 employee Bob Schick? The mighty post-punk band Honor Role, Richmond's analogue to Fugazi, the Minutemen and Husker Du.
- What radio station had Plan 9 as its landlord? Channel 36 / Color Radio, the radio station that "broadcast" on the last channel of Richmond's brand new cable TV system starting in 1982; their motto was "Better radio through television."
Also on this week's program: new music by Bombino, who'll perform in DC on July 12; Sudan's irresistible dance music; and some Afro-funk deep cuts.
July 8, 2018
1 ANGELIQUE KIDJO | Remain In Light | Kravenworks
2 JUPITER AND OKWESS | Kin Sonic | Everloving
3 MYSTIC BOWIE | Mystic Bowie's Talking Dreads | MTMB Entertainment
4 ABELARDO CARBONO Y SU GRUPO FEAT QUANTIC | "La Pina Madura" [Single] | Names You Can Trust
5 RED BARAAT | Sound The People | Rhyme & Reason
6 DIALI CISSOKHO AND KAIRA BA | Routes | Twelve | Eight
7 EL DUSTY | Cumbia City | Aftercluv
8 BOMBINO | Deran | Partisan
9 YENI NOSTALJI | Yeni Nostalji | Ropeadope
10 EL HIJO DE LA CUMBIA | Genero Genero | Nacional
July 3, 2018
It seems like a lot of Americans have lost touch with their immigrant roots, or maybe they're just in denial. As a public service to the many Americans who've forgotten that their families too were immigrants, this special 4th of July edition of Global A Go-Go will feature two hours of great American music made by people who chose to come to this country. These are the people, like my grandparents, who have made America great always. Today's the right day to celebrate them, and us.