December 28, 2015
I've said it before, I'll say it again: we're once again living in a singles era. So folks like me who recap their favorite recordings by focusing solely on albums (as I did on my last two shows) are missing some big pieces. This week's show is designed to remedy that flaw -- I think you'll hear just as much great music this week as you did on my previous two best-of-2015 recaps.
Bonne annee et bonne sante!
December 20, 2015
Global A Go-Go's Top Ten Compilations, Reissues and Historic Recordings of 2015
1. Thomas Mapfumo | Lion Songs: Essential Tracks In The Making Of Zimbabwe | Lion Songs
2. various artists | Senegal 70: Sonic Gems & Previously Unreleased Recordings From The 70s | Analog Africa
3. various artists | The Rough Guide To Psychedelic Cumbia | World Music Network
4. Letta Mbulu | In The Music The Village Never Ends | Be With
5. various artists | Next Stop Soweto, Vol. 4: Zulu Rock, Afro-Disco And Mbaqanga 1975-1985 | Strut
6. Dieuf-Dieul De Thies | Aw Sa Yone Vol. 2 | Teranga Beat
7. Zdob Si Zdub | 20 De Veri | MediaPro Music
8. E.T. Mensah & The Tempos | King Of Highlife Anthology | RetroAfric
9. various artists | Big Box Of Afrosound | Vampisoul
10. Amara Toure | 1973-1980 | Analog Africa
various artists | The Brasileiro Treasure Box Of Funk & Soul | Cultures Of Soul
Os Brazoes | Os Brazoes | Mr Bongo
Buena Vista Social Club | Lost And Found | World Circuit
various artists | Chicas! Vol. 2: Spanish Female Singers 1963-1978 | Vampisoul
Roger Damawuzan & Les As Du Benin | Wait For Me | Hot Casa
various artists | Don't Think I've Forgotten: Cambodia's Lost Rock And Roll | Dust-To-Digital
various artists | Highlife On The Move: Selected Nigerian & Ghanaian Recordings From London & Lagos, 1954-66 | Soundway
Ginger Johnson & His African Messengers | African Party | Freestyle
Mazhar Ve Fuat | Turkuz Turku Cagiririz! | Shadoks Music
Youssou N'Dour & Le Super Etoile De Dakar | Fatteliku (Live In Athens 1987) | Real World
December 15, 2015
I'm referring here to the people responsible for the world music compilations, reissues and historic recordings that I enjoyed in 2015. I'll highlight 20 of them on this week's program, including music from 18 different countries covering seven decades of recorded music.
Click "Read More" to see my 2015 Top Ten (compilations, reissues and historic recordings division).
December 13, 2015
Global A Go-Go's Top Ten New Releases Of 2015
1. Dengue Fever | The Deepest Lake | Tuk Tuk
2. Bixiga 70 | III | Glitterbeat
3. Tiken Jah Fakoly | Racines | Barclay
4. Pat Thomas & Kwashibu Area Band | Pat Thomas & Kwashibu Area Band | Strut
5. Chico Trujillo | Reina De Todas Las Fiestas | Barbes
6. Samba Toure | Gandadiko | Glitterbeat
7. The Souljazz Orchestra | Resistance | Strut
8. Fat Freddy's Drop | Bays | The Drop
9. The Bluebeaters | Everybody Knows | Record Kicks
10. Qwanqwa | Volume Two | FPE
Baba Commandant & The Mandingo Band | Juguya | Sublime Frequencies
Black Masala | I Love You Madly | self-released
Brian Chilala & Ngoma Zasu | Vangaza! | SWP
Lila Downs | Balas Y Chocolate | Sony Music Latin
Grupo Fantasma | Problemas | Blue Corn Music
Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba | Ba Power | Glitterbeat
Kandia Kouyate | Renascence | Sterns
Nozinja | Lodge | Warp
Titi Robin & Mehdi Nassouli | Taziri | World Village
Shantel | Viva Diaspora | Essay
December 7, 2015
Isn't that overkill? Not really, at least I don't think so. WRIR received 548 new world music releases in 2015; then there's all the new stuff that was never sent to the station that I bought or streamed during the year. Add them all up, and you'll see that my top-lists are just six or so percent of all the new music I heard in 2015. Far from overkill, I'd say it's actually pretty selective company.
Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating -- tune in to Global A Go-Go in December and hear for yourself just how good a year in world music 2015 was. I'd say it was very good, in fact one of the best recent vintages.
Click "Read More" to see my 2015 Top Ten (new releases division).
1 BIO RITMO | "Oriza" [Single] | Peace And Rhythm
2 GRUPO FANTASMA | Problemas | Blue Corn Music
3 ELIKEH | Kondona | Ropeadope
4 FAT FREDDY'S DROP | Bays | The Drop
5 BIXIGA 70 | III | Glitterbeat
6 ROGER DAMAWUZAN AND LES AS DU BENIN | Wait For Me | Hot Casa
7 CEU | Live | Six Degrees
8 QWANQWA | Volume Two | FPE
9 SOULJAZZ ORCHESTRA | Resistance | Strut
10 BOOGARINS | Manual | Other Music
December 1, 2015
For example: Latin soul from Ralfi Pagan and Grupo Fantasma, Afro-funk by Prince D'gibs and Roger Damawuzan, Brazilian samba-soul (Los Incriveis) and Afrobeat (Bixiga 70). And three very distinct versions of an Ethiopian song called "I Like Your Afro" (pictured above). For real.