- Only 9 days long (maybe our best feature!), starting Friday March 2 at 5 PM and ending Sunday March 11
- Cool premiums to thank you for donating: A new limited-edition T-shirt, the return of the hoodie (first time since 2006), special premiums all week long (tune in to find out what's special during your favorite shows)
- A wide assortment of musicians performing live in the studio, showing their support for community radio
- Free food for folks who donate in person or pick up their premiums during the drive, courtesy of some of Richmond's finest restaurants who also value community radio
- A party atmosphere all week long (No death-on-a-stick beg-a-thons at WRIR -- we actually enjoy this time of year! Of course, we're weird.)
Taiko is a Japanese ensemble drumming style; it's both folkloric and thoroughly contemporary, with performances that are exhilaratingly athletic and (as you might suspect from a drum band) loud as heck. River City Taiko performs live on Global A Go-Go on Friday March 2 between 5 and 7 PM. Read about, see and hear them here:
And just twice a year, we come to you and ask you to cast your vote for all-volunteer, non-profit, community-programmed radio -- not yet another media outlet whose sole purpose in life is to sell something to somebody, rather one that aspires to be a small building block in the kind of community you value and want to live in.
Well, now is that time. Please consider donating to WRIR's Spring 2012 Fund Drive, either by calling (804) 622-9747 after the drive starts on Friday March 2 at 5 PM, by visiting us in person at 1621-B West Broad Street in Richmond (1/2 block west of Lombardy) during the drive, or by donating online any time:
Thank you for your support -- long live Richmond Independent Radio!
A big post-show thank you to WRIR volunteers Tim Falen and Jay Westermann for doing a great job of sound engineering River City Taiko's performance.
All the podcasts: http://radio4all.net/index.php/series/Global+A+Go-Go
Song | Artist (Country) | Recording | Label
Separation | Oliver Lake (USA) | Matador Of 1st & 1st | Passin' Thru
Global A Go-Go | Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros (UK) | Global A Go-Go | Hellcat
Me Quedo Con El Viejo | Cresencio Salcedo (Colombia) | The Original Sound Of Cumbia | Soundway
Ariwacumbe | Frente Cumbiero (Colombia) | Meets Mad Professor | Vampisoul
River City Taiko, Live At WRIR:
Jaleuleu Ja | Sambasunda Quintet (Indonesia) | Java | Riverboat
Sumaro | Anda Union (Inner Mongolia, China) | The Wind Horse | Hohhot
In A Gadda Da Vida | Albert Kuvezin & Yat-Kha (Tuva, Russia) | Re-Covers | World Village
Chnam Oun Dop-Pran Muy (I'm 16) | Ros Sereysothea (Cambodia) | Cambodian Rocks | Parallel World
Kolos Srey Chaom (Love God) | Cambodian Space Project (Cambodia-Australia) | 2011: A Space Odyssey | Metal Postcard
Family Business | Dengue Fever (Cambodia-USA) | Cannibal Courtship | Concord
Give The Drummer Some | Nickodemus feat Real Live Show & Nappy G (USA) | Endangered Species | ESL Music